Friday, November 14, 2008

Jets, Giants… and “Bear”, Oh My!

Week Eleven in the 2008 NFL Season is a great place to be if you are a New Yorker!

After a hard-fought overtime victory over the arch-rival New England Patriots 34-31, the New York Jets sit alone atop the AFC East with a record of 7-3, while the New York Giants do likewise in the NFC East at 8-1!

UPDATE: Make that Giants record 9-1 for Week Eleven (...as of Sunday, November 16) with a 30-10 victory over the Baltimore Ravens!

I don’t think both teams have EVER been in first place at the same time THIS LATE IN THE SEASON, ever before!

To celebrate, here’s an embedded video of my all time favorite “football cartoon” – Yogi Bear in “Rah Rah Bear”!

It dates from the second season of
THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW in 1959, was written by the great Warren Foster, and was magnificently voiced by the equally great Daws Butler and Don Messick. Butler, of course is Yogi, but also delivers Ranger Smith’s one-or-two lines in this one. And Messick (who normally spoke for “Mister Ranger”) is superb as the football game announcer.

Rah Rah Bear” is a prime example of why I love the early Hanna-Barbera cartoons… even though, for many of my early, formative years (…until I finally watched a “real” NFL game), I thought the game of football was played by two lines of “really big guys” running full-tilt directly into each other!




Ironically, as I post a Blog entry that, at least in part, celebrates the New York Giants’ success, I link to a cartoon that results in their defeat! Sorry, Eli. …Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mark Lungo said...

"for many of my early, formative years (…until I finally watched a “real” NFL game), I thought the game of football was played by two lines of “really big guys” running full-tilt directly into each other!"

Didn't the XFL try that once? ;-)

Joe Torcivia said...

Mark Lungo wrote:

“Didn't the XFL try that once? ;-)”

Almost, Mark, but not quite. One (…and perhaps the ONLY) thing I liked about the XFL was that they decided the first possession by have two opposing players RACE for and attempt to grab the ball! This was a more competitively athletic version of the “coin toss”!

Oh, and for JUST REMEMBERING the XFL, you are awarded a bucketful of special TIAHBlog points! They aren’t good for anything… but neither was the XFL.

Joe.

Mark Lungo said...

"Oh, and for JUST REMEMBERING the XFL, you are awarded a bucketful of special TIAHBlog points! They aren’t good for anything… but neither was the XFL."

Well, Joe, I'm not nearly the sports fan that you are. Still, the XFL was hyped so much, and turned into such a notorious trainwreck, that it became infamous throughout the media--which is how I heard of it.