Tuesday, December 1, 2015

“Mummy’s Day” Comes a Little Late This Year!




Back in THIS POST, I lamented the fact that IDW’s UNCLE SCROOGE # 7 did not have a cover illustrating its lead story “Mummy Fearest”.


So much so that our friend Debbie Anne Perry even did one herself – seen HERE


Well, little more than a month later we DO get a “mummy cover”, albeit an alternate one for WALT DISNEY’S COMICS AND STORIES # 725 (…which had nothing whatsoever to do with mummies – with or without glasses)


But, here at TIAH Blog, we’re grateful for this “better late than never” gesture, even though it should have been an alternate cover to UNCLE SCROOGE # 7. 



We’ll be back soon with a full review of WALT DISNEY’S COMICS AND STORIES # 725… and it will not discuss mummies.  


2 comments:

Deb said...

The Mummy cover is certainly a good one, but I had to go with the story-centric cover for this one. I like the large, scared Donald running away from Scrooge and toward the reader. It's a fun image.

Joe Torcivia said...

Deb:

I always prefer covers that illustrate the lead story therein. It’s probably a throwback to my “sixties Gold Key” days. Naturally, I loved the 1940s-early ‘50s Dell covers for the same reason. I don’t know why they stopped that in the 1950s, in favor of almost exclusively “gag covers”. A mix, depending on interior contents, would have been better overall.

Another practical reason I like them is as an illustrative indicator of what’s inside. That way I don’t have to put a label on the plastic or mylar bag.

But, in this case, I think the Mummy illustration is a better one – and still wish UNCLE SCROOGE # 7 had a “mummy cover”.

I suppose IDW is giving us the best of both worlds with “Lead-Illustrative” covers and "Alternate" gag covers… (Sigh!) except for UNCLE SCROOGE # 7.